Are you planning an extension or alterations that could affect your neighbour’s property? If you are then it is highly likely the works fall under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. The Act dictates what a property owner, whether residential or commercial, must do before commencing works on site.

This usually includes using the advice of experienced party wall surveyors, such as the surveyors at Toynbee Associates Ltd. You can learn more about this from an explanatory leaflet available on Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors website.

A statutory appointment

The surveyor holds a statutory appointment. The surveyor is required act impartially ensuring that the building owners carry out the obligations to their neighbours under the Act.This means that the surveyors are not an agent of the building owner or the adjoining owner.

If you are planning an extension of your property that may affect your neighbour’s building, you should speak to us about the Act and what it means for you. Tristan Toynbee our director is a member of the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors, who promote good practice in this field.

How we can help.

We can provide expert advice on the procedure to both building owners (those undertaking the work) and to adjoining owners (those whose property is at risk of damage).

For building owners,we would usually draft and serve the required notices; for adjoining owners we will take over matters on their behalf once they have received a notice from their neighbour.We will act as independent arbitrators to ensure both parties are agreed to the work and that it is carried out to their mutual satisfaction without adversary affecting the adjoining owners or prejudicing their rights under the Party Wall etc. Act.

Call the office and speak to Tristan Toynbee or one of the team and we can provide you with more information on the process